The City of Lakes, Udaipur is located in the southernmost part of Rajasthan, near Gujarat border. Surrounded by the Aravali Range of mountains this City is one of the popular places for tourists. Tourists visit Udaipur to enjoy the experience it provides like tour across palaces, a boat ride on famous lakes, fine dine inside palace premises and so on. Founded by Maharana Udai Singh II Udaipur was the capital city for the Mewar Dynasty after the capture of Chittorgarh.
Udaipur can be visited all year long however suitable time to visit is during winter months from September to March. The city is well connected by Air,.Land and Railways. Maharana Pratap Airport is nearest airport to the city, Udaipur City railway station and Rana Pratap Nagar railway station are two railway stations in Udaipur and Udaipur City Bus stand acts as three ways to visit Udaipur. One of India’s Luxury Train Palace on Wheels has Udaipur in its itinerary.
Being a tourist place, Udaipur has many tourist attractions
- Lake Pichola – One of oldest lakes in Udaipur is one of must-visit Lakes in Udaipur. Doing a boat cruise during sunset is one of the must-do things once you land here as the sunset from Lake Pichola is surreal. Lake Pichola has 4 islands – Jag Niwas, Jag Mandir, Mohan Mandir and Arsi Vilas. People can visit these four islands during the boat cruise.
- Monsoon Palace :Monsoon palace or Sajjangarh Fort is a white marble palace overlooking the city, built during the reign of Maharaja Sajjan Singh this palace was supposed to be an astronomical centre. High in Aravali Hills, this fort looks like Castle in the night sky when illuminated.
- Sajjangarh Wildlife Sanctuary – This Sanctuary was once a hunting ground for various rulers and also used as artillery, you can still notice Canons while strolling through this wildlife park. You can notice various animals like Peacocks, Panthers. There is a lake called Tiger Lake or Bari Lake which acts as the main tourist attraction which invites many migratory birds to the city.
- Karni Mata Temple – Located at Doodh Talai near Pichola this temple is dedicated to Hindu goddess Karni Mata. This temple gives a picturesque view of Lake Pichola, Jag Mandir. There is a ropeway connected to this temple which gives adventure seeker to visit the temple via ropeway which gives a glimpse of the beautiful city of Udaipur.
- Jag Mandir Palace – Located in an Island of Lake Pichola, Jag Mandir palace boasts luxurious interiors and grand architecture. Due to this, the Jag Mandir Palace is also known as Lake Garden Palace
- Jagadish Temple – One of the oldest temple situated in Udaipur, Jagadish Temple is dedicated to Lord Jagganath. This three-storeyed temple boasts Maru-Gujara architecture with beautiful carvings.
- Fateh Sagar Lake – An Artificial lake build in the midst of Aravali Hills, this lake is connected to Lake Pichola. Spending an evening watching the sunset over the lake gives you a euphoric feeling.
- Horseback Riding – An offbeat thing to try in Udaipur is to go horseback riding. There are 3 operators who provide this activity where you can explore smaller villages of Udaipur and Aravali Foothills on a horse.
- Hathi Pol Bazaar – This place provides a good variety of options to purchase traditional Rajasthani souvenirs. If you are good in bargaining, this place is best as the products here can be negotiated and you can get some ethnic products right from producer to consumer.
- Under The Sun – Visit Under The Sun, one of India’s largest fish aquarium located near Fateh Sagar lake houses more than 100’s of Aquatic Animals. They also have VR experience where you can experience life inside water. They also have virtual interaction where you can interact and get tricked by 3D art inside the aquarium. Tickets to this aquarium are moderately priced at $1.80 for adults and $.90 for children and are open to the public from 08:00 to 23:00hrs every day.