On Thursday, the Indian government issues Standard Operating Procedure (SOP) for those who are arriving from the United Kingdom, this new SOP has been provided as there is a spike in cases of the new strain Coronavirus which has been found in the UK.
India has also announced a temporary ban on flights from the United Kingdom to India. This temporary ban is placed from December 23 to December 31, 2020.
Releasing the SOP, The Union Health Ministry stated that the new strain according to the European Center of Disease Control (ECDC) is more transmissible and has the capability to affect a younger population.
As per the statement, the ministry had said “This variant is defined by a set of 17 changes or mutations. One of the most significant…changes…may result in the virus becoming more infectious and spreading more easily between people.”
Here are the set of guidelines.
- All international travellers will need to provide self-declaration forms and declare their travel history from past 14 days.
- Those who arrive to India from the UK between November 25 and December 08, 2020 need to undergo RT-PCR test.
- Those who are tested positive need to mandatorily undergo institutional quarantine facilitated by respective state authorities.
- Samples of the swab tests will be collected and sent for genome sequencing, those tested positive with new strain will be administered as per latest protocol.
- Necessary action will be taken to send to home isolation or treatment at the facility level depending on the severity of the cases.
- If anybody found positive with new strain of coronavirus will be given treatment is separate isolation unit.
- State government will have to make sure that people who travel or transit through airports in the UK and disembark in India need to undergo RT-PCR test.
- Those who have arrived in India from November 25 – December 8 will be contacted by District Surveillance Officers and advised to self-monitor their health.