India now has the world’s highest motorable road, Ladakh’s Chisumle-Demchok Road, when it crosses the Umling Pass, is now the world’s highest motorable road where the highest point lies at an altitude of 19,000 ft.
The road has been built by Border Roads Organisation (BRO), where they already have several such feats under their belt, and such feats take pride as this connects some of the most challenging border regions and terrains in the country.
Some of the facts of Chisumle-Demchok Road are below.
- This road in Ladakh spans a distance of 52kms connecting various key areas situated in the region.
- This road has made it to the Guinness Book of World Records by touching a staggering altitude of 19,000 ft.
- This road is a significant alternative route connecting Chisumle and Demchok. This is also the region very close to the India-China border.
- As per the government, this is higher than Everest Base Camp.
- This road also surpasses the altitude of Siachen, which is one of the most challenging battlefields in the world.