Summer is here and so does the mercury rise in various states of India. India being a tropical country experience one of the hottest summers and as the temperature rise, so does the energy drains for us. We will constantly lookout to take a summer vacation and enjoy visiting some of the cold regions to beat the heat.
India is a land of mountains, higher altitude means cold weather and you can visit these destinations to enjoy the place and also to escape the summer heat.
- Dras: Dras in Ladakh region is one of the coldest places in India. It is a tourist hub for high altitude trekking routes that lie in the Ladakh region. Often called ‘Gateway to Ladakh’, the temperature in Dras goes as low as -40C. It is a home for ethnic groups of Shina people who speak Indo-Aryan language and Balti people who belong to small Tibetian group. It is a small town with a population of 1201 as per the latest census.
- Spiti Valley: Located in Himachal Pradesh, Spiti Valley is in the name of every tourist visitors to Himachal Pradesh. Spiti is located at an altitude of 12,500 ft above sea level and is bordered by the Himalayas on all sides making this one of the coldest places to visit. Once you step into Spiti you will be welcomed by snow-clad mountains, Himalayan peaks, valleys and you will be driving via long winding road to reach Spiti. The valley is an adventure lover’s paradise as it has a lot of trekking trails.
- Munsiyari: Located in Uttarakhand, Munsiyari is often referred to as Little Himalayas. It is located on the border of Tibet and Nepal and is a base for 3 glaciers named Namik, Milam and Ralam. The scenic village has brilliant weather throughout the year. The town of Munsiyari was once an ancient trade route between India and Tibet. The average temperature of Munsiyari will be around 13C.
- Kalpa: The village of Kalpa is located in the state of Himachal Pradesh and is famous for its apple orchards. Experience a blissful walk in midst of nature early in the morning where you get to visit the beautiful peaks, rich flora and fauna this small town is must visit place when you are in the state of Himachal Pradesh.
- North Sikkim: One of the offbeat places to visit in North India is North Sikkim. Sharing the border with China and Nepal, this is the place where you find fewer people and more nature. One of the reasons for less inhabited places because the location has one of the harshest climates. The headquarters of North Sikkim is Mangan which acts as a base area for trekking and hiking for mountains and forests of North Sikkim. Also, found are some of the important monasteries which you can visit and offer prayer.